WALTHAM, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- PerkinElmer, Inc. (NYSE:PKI - News), a global leader focused on improving the health and safety of people and the environment, today announced the publication of its 2010 Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Report. The 2010 CSR Report details the Company’s progress against its global sustainability goals set in 2009 for environmental health and safety (EHS), community activities, and product stewardship.
“Due to the collective efforts of more than 6,000 PerkinElmer employees around the world, we have made excellent progress against our long-term strategic objective of becoming a more socially responsible company,” said Robert F. Friel, chairman and chief executive officer, PerkinElmer. “PerkinElmer continues to be committed to our corporate social responsibility goals. In April 2011, we launched our first ‘For the Better Day’ program, a full day of worldwide voluntary service that demonstrates our commitment to making a difference in our communities.”
PerkinElmer’s CSR goals focus on integrating social and environmental considerations into its business operations, products, consumables, reagents and services. To achieve these objectives, PerkinElmer identified three strategic pillars each with specific targets:
Environment, Health and Safety (EHS)
- Increasing PerkinElmer’s commitment to environmental sustainability by reducing Scope 1 and 2 global greenhouse gas emissions by 10 percent by 2013, compared to a 2009 baseline:
- Replacing residual fuel oil burning furnaces with more efficient natural gas furnaces in the Shelton facility, resulting in more than a 60 percent reduction in its carbon footprint, along with other conservation efforts
- Developing controls and employee processes to reduce electricity consumption by 35 percent in PerkinElmer’s Downers Grove, Illinois facility. Employees at this site also reduced the amount of waste going to landfill by more than 50 percent
- Encouraging all PerkinElmer facilities to address site-specific energy conservation projects to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, such as using CFL light bulbs, light sensors and other site-specific projects
- Improving fleet vehicle efficiency to reduce fuel consumption and service requirements
- Continuing to reinforce and ensure environmental health and safety in all facilities:
- Ongoing ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 certification and training
- Standards of business conduct training modules for all employees
- Providing new wellness programs, financial planning, and health awareness activities to improve employee well-being
- Enhancing performance measurement monitoring systems
- Increasing opportunities to engage employees in community activities:
- Employee activity committees organized and supported volunteer and community service opportunities such as donating blood, mentoring and tutoring at local schools, and participating in food and coat drives
- Educating all PerkinElmer employees about CSR initiatives across the globe through a variety on internal and external communication activities (CSR report, CSR video, CSR newsletter and portal site)
- Preparing for PerkinElmer’s “For the Better Days,” a series of full-day community service activities in 2011 for all employees to volunteer for improving the health and safety of the people and environment in communities where they live, work, and play. Employees from around the world will donate time and work together to create human and environmental health awareness and participate in worthwhile local causes, such as providing safe drinking water, cleaning parks and recreation areas, supporting food pantries, building homes, and helping environmental protection organizations
- Adopting a more sustainable product approach and building more energy-efficient products:
- Establishing a process within PerkinElmer’s research and development project management reporting systems for all new products that includes measurements against CSR targets to improve efficiencies, yield smaller footprints, and increase the use of recycled materials, such as the recently launched Spectrum Two™ Infrared Spectrometer that uses 76% less energy, 90% less by volume and 79% lighter than previous versions
- Developing a cross-business unit committee to develop policy and process for new products
The 2010 CSR Report was prepared using elements of the Global Reporting Initiative G3 Guidelines and represents a balanced and accurate presentation of PerkinElmer’s economic, environmental and societal performance.
To learn more about PerkinElmer’s CSR efforts visit www.perkinelmer.com/CSR
About PerkinElmer, Inc.
PerkinElmer, Inc. is a global leader focused on improving the health and safety of people and the environment. The Company reported revenue of approximately $1.7 billion in 2010, has about 6,200 employees serving customers in more than 150 countries, and is a component of the S&P 500 Index. Additional information is available through 1-877-PKI-NYSE, or at www.perkinelmer.com.